Tools of the trade
August 22, 2012
Today I’m writing about the tools which I use on a daily basis in order to make all things web.
Let’s start with the basics.
I work on a MacBook 13inch. Installed on it I have the full Adobe CS5 master suite. I have Coda2 which I use to code. I’ve got Firefox (My favorite), Safari, and Opera browsers. I have XAMPP for working locally. Sequel pro for my SQL. Transmit for my FTP and terminal to speak to my computer. I type on Microsoft word for mac. iPhoto & Preview for my images. Ical to help me remember stuff and Mail as my email client. I talk to people on Skype and msn messenger.
I’ve also got some other cool stuff on my computer which I have to mention:-
- Caffeine- this prevents the computer from going to sleep.
- Linotype font explorer- a nice font library which I use to managed my fonts
- mSecure- holds all my passwords
- Mac Time machine- backups all my data.
After typing that it’s quite apparent that there is a hell of a lot there. And I couldn’t really do without any of them. They all live in my dock.
Now onto some other stuff I use frequently on the web.
- Firebug- I could not live without this thing, never mind work.
- Web developers toolbar-Like a box of tools on screen.
- Boilerplate- HTML5 ready template
- Starkers- starting WordPress template.
- 960 grid system – Grids
- Subtle patterns- Background patterns
- Ultimate CSS gradient generator- the best css3 gradient generator.
- Font squirrel- Find fonts and the generator.
- Worthy of note- All stuff I want to remember is added to this.
- Design Fridge- Want inspiration, look no further.
- Designers talk- I love to help people with their questions, in addition to obtaining feedback and answers myself.
I’m saving the best until last. WordPress. The best thing I have come across on the web to date.
Well there it is. I have probably missed some things and will be kicking myself for forgetting later. Hope you find this post interesting and maybe you found something that could makes things better/easier for you.